The current version of the Britax Marathon 70 can be used with children from five to forty pounds rear facing and at one year of age from twenty to seventy pounds facing the front of the vehicle.
Britax Safe Cell Technology offers head safety along with the versa tether and integrated steel bars that all work together reducing the change of a head injury by minimizing head excursion in the event of frontal impact.
Protection from side impacts is provided by the seat which includes quick adjusting; no rethread 5-point harness system. There are multiple reclining and buckle adjustments as well as easy to access belt paths and cover. Children gain additional comfort with the body and head pillows.
The Britax Marathon 70 offers safety and security in addition to the following features:
- A secure fit is ensured with the tangle free harness that has five points distributing the force from crashes to the body’s strongest parts.
- EPP foam to absorb energy lines the deep side walls to add protection from side impacts and intrusion from vehicles while containing the body, neck and head.
- The forward flexing movement of the seat during crashes is reduced and the vehicle connection strengthened with the integrated steel bars.
- Safe cell technology to allow cells to compress in the event of a crash lower a child’s center of gravity and slows the forces that propel children toward the front of the car in crashes.
- Forward moment during a crash is slowed by the staged release tether on the energy absorbing versa tether; the top of the seat is anchored by a two point attachment that minimizes the forward rotation.
The current version of the Britax Marathon 70 Convertible Car Seat had a total of seventy Amazon reviews giving it an overall average rating of four and a half out of five stars.
The most helpful critical review gave the unit a rating of three out of five stars. The reviewer found that when the seat is rear facing their eleven month old child was almost out of leg room with his feet against the seat of the car. The reviewer did not feel that the car seat would be able to accommodate their child for very long and tightening the straps proved awkward for them. Other than these problems the reviewer was satisfied with the seat.
The most helpful positive review gave the Marathon 70 a rating of five out of five stars. The reviewer was pleased with the size that allowed for someone to sit comfortably in the front seat with it installed. Other reviewers found that the seat was easy to install although there was very little space left between the seat and the door jam in order to get the child in the seat itself.
Overall the majority of reviews for the current version of the Britax Marathon 70 Convertible Car Seat were positive with even those giving negative reviews finding positive aspects of the seat. The problems were minor when experienced and as a result we can recommend the Marathon 70 to consumers looking for a quality car seat.